Call Us Toll-Free
1-877-244-0431
Fax Us Toll-Free
1-877-887-5321

June 13, 2011

Lowering Triglycerides Levels

Recent studies have shown that borderline patients with high levels of triglyceride can lower triglycerides with a change in lifestyle and a change in diet. Triglycerides are a form of fat in the bloodstream that can rise if someone is overweight, inactive, a smoker, consumes too much alcohol, or eats a diet high in carbohydrates.

Experts from a screening study demonstrated that people who have less than a 100mg/dL of triglycerides are the healthiest and that these levels are optimal. Borderline triglyceride patients have levels between 150-199mg/dL. Borderline patients should consider losing 5% of their body weight and limit their calorie intake as well as limiting sugars to less than 10% of their total intake. Weight loss has shown valuable changes on lipids and lipoproteins. With 5-10% loss of body weight comes with positive benefits such as a 20% reduction of triglycerides along with a 15% decrease in LDL cholesterol and 8-10% decrease in HDL cholesterol.

There has been a lot of confusion with how triglycerides can be controlled and how much it actually affects the cardiovascular system. Borderline patients are recommended to consume no more than 100g of fructose from processed foods. Fruits and vegetables that are low in fructose, such as strawberries, grapefruit, bananas, and peaches, should be eaten. A diet that consists of high fiber whole grains and healthy unsaturated fats such as omega-3 fatty acids is also strongly encouraged. As for exercise, at least 150 minutes per week should to help reduce triglycerides.